Chief Robert Valentine reports the Groveland Fire Department responded Friday evening to a chimney fire at a home on King Street. 

The Fire Department was notified of a chimney fire at 60 King St., about 8 p.m. Firefighters responded and found fire showing from the chimney on arrival.

Firefighters quickly knocked down the flames in the chimney and then used a thermal imaging camera to ensure the fire had not spread. There was no smoke or fire damage outside of the chimney. 

The fire was caused by creosote build up in the chimney. Creosote — a byproduct of burning wood — is the most common cause of chimney fires in Massachusetts, according to the Department of Fire Services. The homeowner was advised to have the chimney cleaned before using a fireplace again. 

“Firefighters did a great job responding quickly and ensuring this fire was contained to the chimney,” said Chief Valentine. “I’d like to thank our police partners for assisting us at the scene, and to remind homeowners to have their chimneys cleaned and inspected once a year.”

For more information chimney fires and safety tips from the Department of Fire Services, click here.

Groveland Fire Department Responds to Chimney Fire
Tagged on: